Vitamins for Babies Immunity
Vitamins for Babies Immunity
Nutritional supplements for baby immunity are important because they can help support a child’s developing immune system, especially in certain situations or conditions where a child might be at risk of nutrient deficiencies.
Mothers pass on antibodies to their unborn babies during the last three months of pregnancy via the placenta. This type of immunity is referred to as passive immunity and usually starts to decrease after a few months after birth. Breast milk is a great source of antibodies, breastfed babies will benefit from this support. As this is not always possible, baby milk formulas are generally fortified with added vitamins and minerals that can provide the required nutrients for immunity.
Why nutritional supplements?
Nutritional supplements for babies can be very helpful in providing immune support, especially during autumn and winter. This is usually the time when babies are exposed to colds and coughs from older siblings or other children at nursery.
Here are a few reasons why nutritional supplements might help support immunity in babies and toddlers.
- Incomplete Breastfeeding or Formula Feeding: While breast milk is the best source of nutrition for infants, in some cases, mothers might not be able to breastfeed, or the baby might not be getting enough breast milk. In such situations, supplements can provide essential nutrients that might be lacking in formula or other feeding alternatives.
- Nutrient Deficiencies: Babies born prematurely or with certain health conditions might have nutrient deficiencies that affect their immune system. Supplements, under the guidance of a healthcare provider, can help address these deficiencies and support immune function.
- Weaning to Solid Foods: As babies transition from a milk-based diet to solid foods, they might not immediately get all the necessary nutrients from their diet. Additional nutritional supplements can help provide essential vitamins and minerals that may be lacking during this time.
- Vitamin D Deficiency: Vitamin D is important for bone health and immune function. Breast milk might not provide enough vitamin D, and babies who are exclusively breastfed, especially in regions with limited sunlight, might need vitamin D supplements.
- Special Diets or Allergies: Babies with certain allergies or intolerances might be on restricted diets, which can sometimes lead to nutritional gaps. Supplements can help ensure they receive essential nutrients for proper immune system development.
- Reoccurring colds: Once a child starts nursery, unfortunately, one of the regular occurrences is the dreaded cold or cough, which can sometimes be a regular event. This is mainly because children are exposed to a wide range of bugs that they haven’t previously been exposed to. As annoying as this is, it does help to develop the child’s immune system. One way for parents to help support their child’s immune system is to give a supplement that contains vitamin C, vitamin D, Zinc, and vitamin B6. These key nutrients help to support the immune system and can help to prevent regular coughs and colds.
AvaCare’s Baby Multi Vitamin Drops have been designed to provide an optimum balance of essential Vitamins, including Vitamin’s A for vision, B for energy release, & D for bone growth.
Nutritional supplements should not be a substitute for a healthy and balanced diet. A nutritious diet, proper hygiene, and regular medical check-ups are essential components of maintaining a baby’s overall health and immunity.
The new school year is approaching, you have probably ordered the uniform, tried on school shoes, and stocked up on the stationery but have you thought about how to help look after your child’s health?
Read on to find out our essential back-to-school health tips to keep your children feeling their best.
It is typical that children to catch between 7 – 10 colds a year who attend nursery or school, not to mention all the other bugs and germs that circulate so quickly around schools, so it’s a great idea to look after their immune systems to help fight these colds and keep them feeling their best.
AvaCares Child Multi-Vitamin is a great product to ensure they are getting everything they need to keep their immune systems healthy. It contains an optimum balance of essential vitamins and minerals as well as being 100% Vegan. For the little ones, our Baby Multi-Vitamin will do the trick (use from 4 months) to help keep their immune systems healthy.
The Department of Health recommends all children from six months to five years old are given supplements that contain vitamins A, C, and D, so giving them some vitamin D with their breakfast can help overcome the dark winter days, boosting their immunity.
Vitamin D also supports a normal healthy immune system, but also more importantly contributes to bone health. The Department of Health recommends that all adults and children should consider taking a vitamin D supplement. AvaCares Vitamin D3 & K2 offers a plant source of Vitamin D as well as scientifically researched K2 which studies have shown in children increases bone-relevant mechanisms associated with better bone health.
Happy Back to School!!
Taking the right vitamins is important. The food supplement market is plenty of options and we know you have asked yourself many times “what vitamins I should take?”’. This article will help you to understand the vitamins that you and your loved ones should take, looking at the benefits of different groups of vitamins and how different AvaCare products can help you accordingly.
The most consumed food supplements across all demographics* are Multi-vitamins, Omega 3’s and Vitamin D3.
Multi-vitamins are preparations that include a combination of different vitamins and minerals to cover the most general requirements of your body. These products usually contain vitamins A, B, C & D and minerals like iron.
- Vitamin A: strengthens immune system and helps to maintain normal vision & skin.
- Vitamins B: help with energy release and support cognitive development. Vitamin B12 also is required for the development and function of the nervous system (the center of all mental activity including thought, learning, and memory) and its source is animal-based food. Therefore, if you have a vegan diet, you should take food supplements with vitamin B12 to meet this need.
- Vitamin C: essential for a healthy immune system and absorbing dietary iron.
- Vitamin D: is essential for bones, teeth and muscle growth and development. Also supports the immune system.
AvaCare multi-vitamin products include Baby Multi-vitamin Drops and Child Multi-vitamins & Mineral + Omega 3. These products cover the NHS daily recommendation for babies from 6 months, in two products designed with your children development in mind.
Omega 3 is essential for brain function and helps improve concentration. It can help to reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases and contributes to a healthy vision.
Omega 3 is also important for pregnant or breastfeeding women as it can help with the development of the baby’s nervous system.
AvaCare Omega 3 products include Omega 3 Child and Omega 3 Adult. As all AvaCare products, both are Vegan, therefore the Omega 3 comes from Algae. However, their effectiveness competes with non-vegan alternatives. These products have been designed for children from 3 years and adults & teenagers from 12 years accordingly.
This vitamin is only found in a few foods and the main source is summer sunlight on our skin. Lack of this vitamin can lead to bone deformities or bone pain. The NHS recommends everyone taking supplements containing 10 micrograms of vitamin D, especially during the autumn and winter. This vitamin also supports the immune system and it has been found a link between adequate level in blood of vitamin D with better COVID-19 recovery.
AvaCare D3 products include D3+K2 Child and D3+K2 Adult. We have combined two vitamins that work perfectly together, vitamin D3 with K2. While Vitamin D3 contributes to the absorption of calcium and phosphorous, and to the maintenance of bones, teeth and muscle functions, Vitamin K2’s ability is to aid the transport of calcium away from the arteries and deposit it into the bones, where it is really needed.
So what vitamins are best for me?
If you only want to have one product or want to give your children only one solution (we know children can sometimes be hard to take anything!) we recommend you to take a multi-vitamin that includes a mix of different vitamins and minerals to cover your daily requirements.
If you have specific requirements or you have recently changed your diet, we recommend you to understand the benefits of each group of vitamins, and choose a product based on the deficiency you may be suffering. At any time, we encourage you to seek professional advice, specially if you or your children are under medical supervision or may have food allergies.
AvaCare can help you to achieve your vitamin requirements with our products, which you can find in our stockists’ stores. Have a look at our where to buy page to find our stockists.
Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a varied and balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.
*(based on research carried by Food Standards (2018))